WAYNE, N.J. -- Recharging hoverboard batteries ignited a fire that severely damaged a Wayne home, police said Friday.
“There is a fire in the house and we are all evacuating now,” a caller from the Kevin Place residence told a 911 dispatcher at 10:17 p.m. Thursday. "Smoke is coming up the stairs and we can see flames in the living room.”
Officer Ardian Cela and Sgt. Robert Franco found the house evacuated before township firefighters extinguished the blaze, Police Capt. Laurence W. Martin said.
Wayne's Memorial Volunteer First Aid squad also responded, he said.
One of the residents reported hearing "pops or bangs" and suspected someone was trying to break in, Martin said. Then they discovered the fire.
It was extinguished just before midnight, the captain said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.