PATERSON, N.J. – The New Jersey State Police have charged 18 suspects responsible for operating a drug trafficking organization in Paterson, the New Jersey State Police announced.
As a result of the takedown, 31 additional individuals were charged with various drug-related offenses, and detectives seized more than 18,000 bags of heroin, five bags of cocaine, one pound of marijuana and three handguns.
The investigation -- “Operation Pitfall" -- began in May of 2017, and targeted a drug trafficking organization operating in the 4th ward of the city. The group, known as the 4K Bloods/Korner Boyz, is a subset of the Bloods street gang.
Detectives identified Jaumel Reese, 30, and Marvelous Pitts, 31, both of Paterson, as the leaders of the heroin trafficking ring. Reese and Pitts are both alleged members of the 4K Bloods street gang.
Jaumel Reese has been charged with being a leader of a narcotic trafficking network, distribution of heroin, employing a juvenile in a CDS distribution scheme, and possession of CDS on school property.
Marvelous Pitts, who is currently serving a sentence in Trenton State Prison, has been charged with distribution of heroin, possession of heroin, and possession of CDS on school property.
On Saturday, Nov. 19, State Police detectives and officers from partnering agencies executed search and arrest warrants in Lodi, where they arrested Jesse Garcia, 27, of Lodi.
As a result, troopers seized more than $20,000 in cash, more than 400 bags of heroin, and a handgun. Garcia, also an alleged member of the 4K Bloods street gang, was charged with unlawful possession of a handgun, possession of a handgun during a CDS offense, certain persons not to possess a handgun, distribution of heroin, and additional CDS offenses.
The cooperative effort was led by the New Jersey State Police Gangs and Organized Crime North Unit, the New Jersey State Parole Board, Newark Police Department, along with assistance from the Division of Criminal Justice, U.S. Homeland Security Investigations, Paterson Police Department, Morris County Sheriff’s Office, Passaic County Prosecutor’s Office, Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office, Bergen County Police Department, Prospect Park Police Department, Wallington Police Department, Elmwood Park Police Department, Passaic County Sheriff’s Office, Wayne Police Department, and Clifton Police Department.
"Paterson is a major heroin distribution hub and these Bloods gang members allegedly were a big part of the problem,” said Attorney General Christopher Porrino.
“We’re losing thousands of lives to the opioid epidemic in New Jersey – over 2,000 overdose deaths in 2016 alone – and we will not rest in our efforts to stem that death toll, whether it be through arresting drug dealers, arresting doctors who behave like drug dealers, or dramatically reducing the opioid pain pills prescribed in New Jersey through the five-day prescription limit signed into law by Governor Christie and implemented on an emergency basis in March, a measure that undoubtedly has prevented pill diversion and addiction."
Police said the following suspects have been identified as members of the drug trafficking organization:
- Jaumel Reese, 30, Passaic, NJ: Leader of a narcotic trafficking network, Distribution of heroin ,Employing a juvenile in a CDS distribution scheme, Possession of CDS on school property
- Marvelous Pitts, 31, Trenton State Prison, Distribution of heroin, Conspiracy to distribute heroin. Possession of CDS on school property
- Eric Huntington, 41, Paterson, NJ. Distribution of heroin, Conspiracy to distribute heroin, Possession of CDS on school property
- Herbert Pitts, 59, Paterson, NJ, Distribution of heroin
- Possession of heroin, Possession of CDS on school property
- Jeffrey Hunter, 29, Paterson, NJ, Distribution of heroin, Conspiracy to distribute heroin
- Jerome Deas, 38, Paterson, NJ, Distribution of heroin, Possession of heroin, Possession of CDS on school property
- Jesse Garcia, 27, Lodi, NJ, Possession of a handgun during a CDS offense, Unlawful possession of a handgun, Distribution of heroin, Certain persons not to possess a handgun
- R.S., 17, Paterson, NJ
- Angela Whitehead, 31, Prospect Park, NJ
- Shaques Huntington, 23, Paterson, NJ
- Justin Jones, 23, Paterson, NJ
- Jahad Toney, 32, Paterson, NJ
- Jahmel Vaughn, 32, Paterson, NJ
- Branden Perry, 37, Paterson, NJ
- Davon Armstrong, 39, Paterson, NJ
- Markeith Davis, 47, Paterson, NJ
- Jonathan Cedeno, 21, Paterson, NJ
- Tariq Jackson, 24, Paterson, NJ
This investigation is being prosecuted by the New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.