WAYNE, N.J. -- "The roof is on fire," a customer told employees at a Wayne McDonald's -- struck by its second blaze in 13 months.
The store manager had begun evacuating employees and patrons after a short-circuited roof lighting fixture began burning at the Hamburg Turnpike eatery around 7 p.m. Sunday, Capt. Laurence W. Martin said.
Police Officers Gerry Venezia, Eric Caffrey, Bruce Conklin, John Donado and Steve Martell, along with Sgt. Peter Pohludka, cleared the place, moved them safely away from the building, and handled traffic, he said.
Township firefighters extinguished the blaze, Martin said, adding that no injuries were reported.
Township health and fire inspectors responded, along with a PSEG crew, the captain said.
"Inspectors determined at this time there appears to be no foul play involved," he said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.